The Washington Capitals have introduced a new player to its roster, calling up hopeful Steve Oleksy from the AHL team, the Hershey Bears.
The defensemen got his lucky break when veteran Mike Green hurt his groin. In his NHL debut, he registered an assist for the Caps in a 4-3 victory over the Boston Bruins on March 5.
The Tommy Show interviewed talked with the newest Capital.
AIRED: March 21
AIRED May 3:
Here is what you need to know about Oleksy:
1. A Chesterfield, Michigan native, he was signed by the Hershey Bears on July 2, 2012.
2. You can follow him on Twitter.
3. He is known for “dropping the gloves” on the ice, doing just that in 11 of the last 55 games while playing for the Hershey Bears.
4. Oleksy is the founder and president of Eastside Elite Hockey, a summer hockey league that helps players stay in shape.
5. His parents and brother drove all night from Michigan to attend his first game as a Washington Capital.