My goodness, it’s hard to believe three years have gone by already. When this whole adventure started on 94.7 Fresh FM, Kim Kardashian had just gotten married to Kris Humphries, Snooki was trying claw her way into the spotlight and Charlie Sheen was acting belligerent.
Though not much has changed in Hollywood, our Fresh listeners have changed our lives forever. Our show is simply three friends with microphones and we owe it all to you for getting involved, calling us, coming to fun events and being neighbors around Maryland, Virginia and the District.
Here are some of my favorite moments that we’ve shared together on and off the air.
1. Being asked to host the White House Easter Egg Roll for the last four years has been an absolutely incredible gift. It still baffles me that I get to be the guy holding the microphone on the south lawn of the White House while over 35,000 people enjoy family activities.
2. The Mark Twain Prize for American Humor is served up to an individual that makes us laugh and think while using comedy to build bridges and pave roads. The 2013 Mark Twain Prize for American Humor was awarded to Carol Burnett and we had a chance to hit the red carpet for the event. Carol has paved the way for all those, especially women, who wanted to break into the variety and comedy worlds of television. Everyone from Tina Fey to Martin Short stopped to chat with Tommy McFLY on the red carpet.
3. When tornadoes struck Moore, Okla. we ask our Fresh family to help collect Teddy Bears Around the Beltway for children displaced from their homes. Over Memorial Day weekend, when everybody had a lot going on, we came together and sent thousands of furry friends t Oklahoma.
4. Front Row to Santa was an idea that Tyson’s Corner Center and Fresh thought up for the holidays. We were able to bring forty families to the front of the line to be the first in the area to say hey to St Nick. Many of the people we met that day still check in all the time.
5. Chelsea Clinton chatted with The Tommy Show on the good hearts of Millennials and giving back to the world.
6. We challenged the Fresh family to raise $20,000 for the GW Mammovan and you rallied like nothing I’ve ever seen. When we hit the goal, I dyed my hair pink. The pink hair really taught me a lot about bringing awareness to life… and how damaged your hair gets when you dye it three times in two weeks.
7. The Kennedy Center Honors shines a huge spotlight on those who have impacted American Culture. This year, screen legend Shirley MacLaine and musicians Billy Joel, Herbie Hancock, Carlos Santana and Martina Arroyo were honored. Each year the honorees, their A-List friends, and former co-stars get together to honor America’s icons.